auto box ontomanual engine

Technical Discussion Forum - Technical Q&A

Moderator: Moderators

Sammy boy

auto box ontomanual engine

Post by Sammy boy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Whats needed?

I have a 3.9 manual and want a zf 4 speed in their instead, will it bolt straight up or are there differences? Do I need toabandon the idea and just buy an auto complete with engine?!

Allhelp appreciated folks,

Cheers

Sam

bowler mark
Regular

Re: auto box ontomanual engine

Post by bowler mark » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

A ZF gearbox will fit straight in providing it came from a 3.9 v8, not a diesel, as the bellhousings are not the same, you will also need the flywheel and flex plate from a 3.9 v8.
The 3.9 was fitted with a ZF 4HP22 gearbox, you could also fit a ZF4HP24 from the later 4.6 Range Rover which is a stronger box, but you will need the flywheel and flex plate from a 4.6 as the converter's are not the same, also all 4HP24 gearbox's are electronic, so you will need an ECU for it. Roland at ACR is a good man for the ECU if you want to go down that road.

sunniva
4x4: 16

Post by sunniva » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 am

There seems to be some argument about accuracy of Suzukis published MPG figures, in other words much worse than published. However Honest John in his review appears to be saying that these published figures are 98% accurate!!

shaywez

Post by shaywez » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi, I am doing the opposite, in that I have a rover 3.9 v8 that did have an auto bos on and I am converting it to a manual. Is the box you took off a r380 from a petrol v8? If so I may be interested in taking it off your hands, let me know, cheers.